This is regarding manners and it is something that happens in my family, Curt's family, and some of my friend's families. Now we are talking about family (parents & siblings)not cousins, or distant relatives.
How do you share news?
I recently got a letter from my brother and he let us know that his wife was pregnant. Now, I think this is okay, because he is in charge of the family reunion this year and was going to write us anyway. He really didn't have to call each of us.
However, when a child is born, is it really okay to just tell for example, "Grand-Mom" and have her call everyone? Wouldn't they rather get the information from the one who just had the baby or the father who helped?
I think that I could share this with friends by sending out an email, but not family. Maybe pictures and backup information, but it should be told to family over the phone first. Engagements, also require a phone call.
I really don't like the gossip scheme. Gossip is bad, and the only person I tell/share with is Curtis. If I have had a "gossipy" conversation with someone, it usually stops with me. I think that is why I don't talk that much in certain groups of friends.
Anyway, however you vote, Remember that "Manners Matter"!
This is all my own thinking on the matter, share yours!
10 comments:
Okay, so I voted before I saw your explanation of the voting. I took for family to include all of my cousins and aunts and uncles... and my husband's. Let's just say, that's a lot of people. And I would send an email. In fact, when I got engaged, I DID send an email. My immediate family found out by phone. Here's what I figure. I live way far away and the phone thing is kind of expensive. I call my mom, probably my siblings... and the rest of the fam likely gets an email. Or my mom calls them. When I got a job, I think I just emailed. I don't think it was the same caliber as getting married or getting pregnant. WHen I got sick, I called my mom post-hospital. EVERYONE else got a call from her, pretty much. Could blame that on general memory loss. So... there you have it. Call immediate family, send emails, and if people want more details then the email they can talk to my mom or call me.
I have sometimes been guilty of telling Mom something and expecting her to spread the word. (She doesn't always remember who has been told and who hasn't, thus people find out months later and ask "how come nobody told me?!" But for big things like birth of a child, I try to call all my siblings personally.
SO personally I give a call, but according to my family dynamic, email is perfectly acceptable. On Adam's side though, I would be shot dead for such behavior...
I really think it depends on the family and the situation. In my opinion, if I have a baby, I am a little busy to call anyone. I tell my mom and she spreads the news. Now, if people want to call they can. But then again, I barely pick up my phone then. So I guess for me, the mom word-of-mouth is the only thing that works.
Personally, I think that I or the husband would like to call everyone. I just remember being so excited about the new arrival that "I" wanted to share "my" good news. Of course, not everyone feels as I do. I think you have to respect the family dynamic and do whatever will cause the least amount of grief for yourself!
i agree with everyone, phone calls for immediate fam, and every one else can find out through the grapevine. i will put it on my blog now, so anyone who cares can see the news there. i think that works pretty well.
Usually when I have a baby Dennis calls immediate family. However, when a family member is expecting we have heard it several ways, a phone call, mass e-mail, or an announcement at a family get together. Either way, it has never bothered me and i've never thought much of it! I guess each family does things their own way!
I guess it depends on the situation. A new job, maybe just tell immediate family. A job where you move across the country, you may tell a few more from your own mouth. But I agree with some of the others, for a baby or wedding/engagement it's fun to tell family yourself. I usually tell immediate family and grandma, then I leave it up to my moms to tell their siblings, since we're not too close.
Thanks for the comments, I was jst wondering how some families do it. I had a bad experience where a family member had a baby, I found out a couple of weeks later because they sent it to the wrong email address.
Thanks again for the comments.
I agree with most depends on the news. When I have been pregnant I have sent out something fun by email, usually something that you may or may not get it if you aren't paying attention. When I had a baby, we called but everyone wanted to talk to me and I didn't want to talk. So next baby we will have to think of something different. I texted all my family "It's a boy!" and just posted it on the myfamily.com website for Sam's family. I did call his mom, but felt he could call any siblings if he wanted.
Post a Comment