Sunday, August 17, 2008

ER and Airplanes




Okay, so we spent Sunday evening in the ER... without our kids. Curt and I have been in the ER more times than most people I know.

About 5:30, Curt was working on his RC airplane and I heard "Oh Crap, Oh Crap" so I went to go check it out. I thought at first from the tone of his voice that a kid had been hurt. Oh, I say "nay-nay"... Curt was hurt and badly. He had his hand over his arm and was telling me he cut himself. He showed it to me and I ran to get a cloth to put over the cut, no...the GASH! So I yelled at the kids to get ready really fast so we could take dad to the ER. Then, I called Mari Ashby (our wonderful, loving, generous neighbor) and told her what had happened, she met me in front of our house to take the kids. (Thanks Mike and Mari, they had a blast!!)
What had happened was that he was checking the back of the plane and the propeller had started and hit his arm. These airplanes ARE NOT toys and there were some safety precautions that he could have taken, but he forgot for some reason and had sliced his leg 10 minutes before this (just a small slice in his leg). So when the propeller had hit his arm, he actually thought it was his toe that was bleeding and then saw there was a puddle of blood under his feet from his arm. That's when he freaked.



On the way to the ER, I called 911 and told them that we were on our way and they needed to have someone meet us to get him in. The operator was ready to dispatch an ambulance and I told her that we were nearly there, but to notify the hospital. They met us at the ER doors and took Curt right back. Once we got back there, Curt was in shock and ready to pass-out. He was pale and green (I've only seen his this way a few times) and knew that he was going to "get sick" and then passout. They put him on a gurney and a Dr. came in right away to check him to see if he had hit an artery.

They cleaned the would and it measured 3 inches log and 1 to 1 & 1/2 inches deep. The Dr. said that he came as close to hitting an artery and muscles as anyone can get without getting into real trouble. He had 10 internal stitches and 8 staples on the outside of his arm. We sat and waited while he had color return to his face and for them to "observe" him for 1 1/2 hrs.
I have had it with Emergency Rooms for a while.

We finally got him out of Banner Desert and then had to pick up the kids and head to Walmart for his perscription and medical changing supplies.


Believe it or not, they didn't give him drugs so this smile is ALL HIM!!!

I asked him if we could call his plane "The Widowmaker", he didn't think that was very funny.

I also asked them if I could take a picture of the wound and the Dr. stapling him back together and said no and that I was weird. I told him it was for the blogpage and he laughed. Curt's reply? "She's obsessed".

13 comments:

Melissa M. said...

Yikes! I'm so glad it didn't cut any deeper. Way to take care of your man!
"The Widowmaker", HA!

Couch Pirate said...

I very nearly turned green myself... but that happens because I have a very vivid imagination coupled with a very very sensitive gag reflex where blood is concerned... kind of an unfortunate mix. Man am I glad that Curt is okay.

And remember. Kids, don't try this at home.

Michael said...

hmm... I guess I should be rethinking my covetousness of r/c airplanes.

I always thought it would be a safer and less expensive alternative to real airplanes. The ER and it's assumed bill pretty much caused a paradigm shift here.

If he gives you a hard time about the blog obsession, remind him that blogging hasn't put you in the hospital yet!

Myra said...

i almost threw up just now. my stomach is seriously in my throat. i am glad everything turned out okay, but uck, i hope that doesn't happen again.

crazy burnett6 said...

Cam was pretty shocked, I think he will think twice about how he holds his R/C plane from now on. I still can't believe that happened especially since we were just talking about just that the night before. I hope he heals quickly.

nate and marne said...

wow! i'm glad everyone is ok, and hope curt heals quickly. you are a bit too descriptive though, and i'm glad you don't have a pic of what the actual gash looked like, or you would have some sick ladies here! feel better!

CJ said...

Can't he just stick with playing "The Piano"?:)

Vandee said...

Ouch! I hope he heals soon! Next time, don't ask just take the picture! :)

The Earls said...

I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt. Be careful! And to think that you thought to bring your camera with you. You must be obsessed, but then aren't we all?

Shellee said...

Thanks guys for the comments. Curt is doing much better, he just can't use/twist his arm. Oh, and I have to dress and undress him in the morning like one of the kids.
If I have my purse, I have my camera. You never know when something might be important enough to take a picture!!!

Whitney said...

Great! Now we have to supervise our husbands too?! Geez.:) I'm glad he wasn't hurt too badly. I'm also very proud of you for being so calm and taking care of business . . . including photo documentation. Well done Shellee.

Marisa said...

Oh, my poor injured big brother! Shellee, I'm glad you were there to get him to the hospital so fast. Curtis, be more careful with those remote control deathtraps! I'll be sure to warn Jon. Glad you are doing better!

Kimmie said...

I'm with Whitney, way to take snapshots in the hospital. I love that, a true and faithful blogger! That last smiling bandaged pic is frame worthy. I bet the hospital doesn't see too many smiles that big!

Background