Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I promise...

* ...not to ignore my other kids and their needs.  If you see me out and about, and then I call you for help with something, chances are that I am stressed and overwhelmed and just needed a break (or just help).

* ...not to take on more than I can handle.  I will not offer to watch your kids until I feel stable.  If you ask and I tell you "no", don't get angry with me, I'm dealing with enough.  Don't try to guilt trip me into something for you, the answer won't change.  Guilt trips don't work on me, unless you are someone that at one point lived INSIDE my uterus.

* ...that my family will come first, and that includes the one in the hospital.  If I don't make it to an event that was planned 4 months ago, you need to be flexible.  I will try to make it, but if I don't ~ that's okay.  Someday, I'll be flexible for you.

* ...I will be the worst friend in existence.  If I don't ask how you are doing and only talk about Olivia, it's because that's where my mind is living right now.  It will pass... she won't be in the hospital forever.

* ...I won't call everyone back.  I will try, we'll see what the day brings.

* ...I will cry later.  I know I'm strong, but there will be moments of weakness where I will cry over the many feelings that I have.  I will cry over the sad things.  I will cry with joyful tears over accomplishments.  I will cry, I just need to be stable enough first.  Let me do it when I need to.

* ...I will throw a "three-year-old" sized temper tantrum: complete with foot-stomping, snapping, and anger if it's 6:00pm and I still haven't been down to the hospital to see my littlest daughter.

* ... nay, I SUPER PROMISE, that I'll be back soon.  Please leave your message at the sound of the beep  "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"!!!

(Sorry guys, some of this needed to be said.  It doesn't apply to most, but you wouldn't believe some of the things that people have said to me.)

6 comments:

Jessica said...

just remember...these days it IS all about you and your family. The time will come when you can expand that, but only worry about your four kids.

Whitney said...

People shmeeple.

Also, is it NOT normal to throw tantrums? No one told me I couldn't. I find it releases toxins. I try to be toxin-free each day.

I wonder what it was like to be inside a uterus.

Call me. That's not a demand, just a request to be the first one you call when you do need something . . . even if it's for a meltdown. Or a Frosty. Yum, frosty.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! None of the things you listed sounded unreasonable to me. Someone seriously asked you to watch their kids??????? WTH?

Shellee said...

Yeah, still recovering from a c-section and she wanted me to watch her 18 month old from 9 am to 6 pm. Some people just don't get it.

Couch Pirate said...

I promise to love the heck out of you and your kids and your hubby. =D

Mela said...

Shellee, I think you and Curtis are amazing! You have a beautiful baby. Congrats! Loved the post.

Background