After a wild morning at home, we finally made it to church.
Wild Morning was "chaotic" to be nice about it. Curt had to play for the choir, I was back at the organ, so we both needed to be there early. I woke up at 7 am on the couch with a Jellybean in my lap. It had been a rough night, she wouldn't sleep longer than 1 hour at a time. Aaron was getting up, Alyssa was getting up, Hayden was getting up, Curt was NOT. I jumped in the shower for 5 seconds and then went to get up the nearly 40 year old man. He was just barely able to get himself out the door in time. Thankfully, he was kind enough to ride his bike to the church and leave the car for me. But, I was still at home getting myself and 3 kids ready (Aaron is so awesome.)
As I walked in the chapel at 8:45 to start the prelude, I was attacked and didn't have time for it! I needed to find Curt NOW and he was putting on his tie. He had been waiting for me to get there before he did and couldn't wait any longer. Olivia was starting to cry and so I gave her to my friend, Shannon, and had her wait in a room off the foyer until 3 people that I set out to find Curt got him to the right room.
I got into the chapel and it was LOUD! I started playing and people still were talking loud. So, I quit playing and people realized how irreverent they were. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people talk loudly in the chapel... even in the building. I talk loud, but I try not to in the church building. This being said, let's move on.
I got the opening and sacrament songs done and went to sit down... kids were being great.
Curt played for the choir... kids are a little ancy, but still fine.
I get up to play the closing song and all H-E-double hockey sticks breaks loose. Aaron started caveman-ing and Alyssa got upset because Aaron took something of hers, Hayden was oblivious. I started playing the first verse and ntoice a commotion coming from the kids,made my first mistake. Got to the second verse, and it was worse, I played even more mistakes. Got through the third verse but only by totally ignoring the kids, and trusting that Curt can take care of it all. Fourth verse, I was a wreck and couldn't focus. After the closing prayer, I see what I believe to be a "Homer/Bart Simpson" moment where Curt is strangling Aaron. I try not to laugh, but it was hard. They spent some time together after the meeting and after church figuring out ways that this will never happen again (but it probably will).
Needless to say, we learned a great many things.
* Always separate the two older kids
* Curt needs to not strangle Aaron in front of others.
* Bring snacks to keep the Caveman away.
* Have Curt and the family sit where the are NOT in my peripheral vision.
* Set an alarm for Sunday morning.
* Aaron and Curt riding bikes to church together will be a good thing, Curt will get to church on time!
* The choir... is a whole other subject together.
* Curt can play in front of others.
* There are a ton of people around; some to stall you, some to help you get where you need to be.
* I can go on auto-pilot and still play the organ; if I've practiced enough.
4 comments:
The mental imagery is hysterical. I'm so glad you could be there, sorry it was sheer pandemonium. Hope next week runs more smoothly!
You're amazing to go and serve so well, especially after having a baby. We have afternoon church, and I can't remember how we ever did 9:00 church. It takes us all day just to get ready for church. And even then we are rushing out the door (granted, church is a 40 minute drive + they are about to split the ward so if we don't get there early we don't get seats unless we want to sit halfway in the cultural hall-uck). Good luck with everything. The Lord blesses us as we serve.
I agree, you are both amazing for serving so dilegently. I admire you more and more all the time. I already mentioned to Curt, that if your family wants to sit on the other side, by us, I can help with the kids. I noticed that Curt had his hands full with Olivia. And everytime I looked over your kids were great. I didn't even notice you messing up during the closing song. Sorry about the frustration in the end.
Lets just not talk about that AMAZING (AHHH!!!!) choir number. :)
Lets just say, we need more singers.
Again, you are amazing!
LOVE this! You're awesome!
Post a Comment